Organization approved by State Board of Higher Education 17 May 2006
Developer & Director: Tom Isern
Assistant Director: Aaron Barth
Research Associates: Richard Rothaus, Andrea Mott, Robert Kurtz, Clarence Herz, Chris Hummel, CArole Butcher, Karl Larson, Dakota Goodhouse
Contact the Center
PO Box 1390
Fargo ND 58107-1390
Physical location: Knox Building, on 7th Av N, Room 121
The mission of the center for Heritage Renewal is to identify, preserve, and capitalize on the heritage resources of North Dakota and the northern plains.
1. To assist state agencies, private organizations, and the people of the state and region in generating prosperity and quality of life from heritage resources
2. To establish a center for expertise and action in the fields of historic preservation and heritage tourism
3. To provide opportunities for learning, employment, and internships for NDSU students (undergraduate and graduate)
1. Scholarship: We are research scholars working for a research university. This informs all our work.
2. Integrity: We strive to meet, indeed to elevate, professional standards of practice and public expectations of ethics.
3. Respect: We hold all citizens of the northern plains in esteem, celebrate our common heritage, and respect our diversity of peoples.
Institute for Regional Studies
Administratively, the center is attached to the institute, reporting via the Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
Historic Architectural Survey of Bowman County
Survey of Iron Cross Cemeteries in North Dakota
Research on the Missouri Coteau
Research on the Walla Theater
Research on Whitestone Hill Battlefield
Heritage Trails - the center's Facebook group for grassroots heritage tourism
281: Great Plains Highway - the center's Facebook page for grassroots heritage tourism on Highway 281
ND 200: Highway at the Heart of North Dakota - for heritage tourism along this grand avenue
Dakota War Dialog - discussion associated with the center initiative on the Dakota War in Dakota Territory
Heritage Video - the center's YouTube site
Heritage Image - the center's Flickr site
Panoramio Account - used by the center to submit images to Google Earth
The center is an institutional member of the following organizations: